Recipe for setting up OpenEmbedded environment on wiki

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Feb 13 12:31:34 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 10:46 -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 12:58 -0300, jeff wrote:
> > Yes. I have in FC6 (well, BLAG60000 actually). I did custom builds (for myself
> > only) of monotone and bitbake, everything else is stock FC6+updates. I was able
> > to `bitbake nano` and `bitbake bootstrap-image` though gpe- & opie-image failed
> > somewhere down the path.
>
> Same here. The half-baked walkthrough I did for FC5,6 is already on the
> mailing list archives:
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-devel/2007-January/000046.html

Just before I joined. Sorry my search of the archives missed the above.

> This is what I meant by problem with mailing lists and why it would be
> nice to tie it up with wikis (*automated* as opposed to manually):
> useful information should be distilled and summarized so that we don't
> lose any useful information.

Yes, getting the info into a wiki page started the thread, but afraid I
don't quite understand how the process can be automated.  Back to the
January post...

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org Sun Jan 28 09:12:41 CET 2007

> Hi,
>
> First of all, my apologies for replying without an In-reply-to: header.
> I wasn't subscribed when the original message was posted.
>
> Here's a walkthrough for what I did on a Fedora Core 5 box (though I'm
> sure it will work just fine with FC6). The monotone and bitbake packages
> are actually available from the fedora extras repository. Unfortunately,
> at the time of this writing, extras only has monotone 0.31 and bitbake
> 1.6.0. I downloaded the SRPMS and updated them to the latest as required
> by OpenEmbedded. I've generated spec files and source RPMs with the
> updated packages, but I'm not sure how to share them. bitbake.spec is
> 2KB in size and monotone.spec is 8KB. If someone can tell me how to
> share these files (I'd rather not use my home server), please let me
> know.

Perhaps on the Wiki at
http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/OpenEmbedded?
or perhaps soon on the "real" one?

> 1) Install packages needed to build.
>
> There's actually quite a lot. Try doing an rpmbuild to see what the
> missing packages are. Then just "yum install" them
>
> 2) Build and install monotone and bitbake (or install them from RPM
> packages once they're made available)
>
> $ rpmbuild --rebuild monotone-0.32-1.src.rpm
> $ rpmbuild --rebuild bitbake-1.6.2-1.src.rpm
> # rpm -Uhv RPMS/$(ARCH)/monotone-0.32-1.x86_64.rpm
> # rpm -Uhv RPMS/noarch/bitbake-1.6.2-1.noarch.rpm

Ditto for me - on FC6.

> 3) Pick a subdirectory to install OpenEmbedded stuff (I put them all in
> one subdirectory under $HOME)
>
> $ export OE_DIR=~/openembedded
> $ mkdir -p $OE_DIR
>
> 4) Download OE monotone database and update (pull) it
>
> $ cd $OE_DIR
> $ wget -O - http://www.openembedded.org/snapshots/OE.mtn.bz2 | bzip -dc
> > OE.mtn
> $ mtn --db=OE.mtn pull monotone.openembedded.org org.openembedded.dev
>
> 5) Checkout the local copy of the embedded tree
>
> $ cd $OE_DIR
> $ mtn --db=OE.mtn checkout --branch=org.openembedded.dev
>
> 6) Create local.conf
>
> $ cd $OE_DIR
> $ mkdir -p build/conf
> $ cp org.openembedded.dev/conf/local.conf.sample build/conf/local.conf
> $ joe build/conf/local.conf # or emacs or vi or gedit or nano

(Got'ta be emacs!!! :-)

OK - this is different from the original Recipe from Michael - results
in quite a lot more in build/conf/local.conf.

> 6.a) I changed the dir where the sources were to be downloaded, but you
> don't have to
>
> DL_DIR = "${HOME}/src/openembedded/sources"

Here's where I got confused with your directions and had to do several
iterations on the environment variables in local.conf and the directory
structure.  This and/or the next definition are not consistent with
$OE_DIR above. I used

DL_DIR = "${HOME}/openembedded/sources"

> 6.b) Comment out the BBFILES line and replace with
>
> BBFILES =
> "${HOME}/src/openembedded/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"

and here used

BBFILES = "${HOME}/openembedded/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"

> 6.c) Add
>
> MACHINE = "ep93xx"
> DISTRO = "generic"
>
> 6.d) Comment out the last line
>
> #REMOVE_THIS_LINE:="${@oe.fatal('Read the comments in your
> conf/local.conf')}"
>
> 6.e) Oh, read the comments in the local.conf to get an understanding
>
> 7) Try building something

First had to do

export BBPATH=${HOME}/openembedded/build:${HOME}/openembedded/org.openembedded.dev

per http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/GettingStarted#setuptheenvironment

I put that in ~/.bash_profile

> $ cd $OE_DIR
> $ bitbake nano
>
> I had to install additional packages to build (git, texi2html). Check
> out "Fedora Core 5/6 instructions" here
> <http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OEandYourDistro> for a complete list
> of the packages you would need.
> --
>
> Richi Plana

Success!

Built toolset and nano in 1 hour 21 minutes on an Intel Duo T2400  @
1.83GHz laptop with 1.5GB versus 3 hours 39 minutes on a VMware
Workstation Ubuntu VM on the same hardware.  Quite a bit of overhead for
this VM approach.

Thanks for the help, all.  Next steps, trivial app and emulation.

[Michael - created an account on the Wiki and will have a go at creating
a Red Hat distros page for FC6, and assuming these changes work there
too - CentOS/EL4.]

Phil